Department: Campus Life
School/Division: NYU Abu Dhabi (AD00001)
Is relocation available for this job? Yes
FT/PT Full-Time Category Student Services/Athletics
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a dynamic and experienced Director of Community Outreach reporting to the Assistant Dean of Students in Student Affairs.
NYUAD’s Student Affairs Division provides students with the structure, resources, and support to maximize their holistic educational experience and reach their full potential. The Division plays a crucial role in shaping the out-of-classroom experience for a highly diverse (100+ nationalities) residential population of 1800+ undergraduate students.
The Director of Community Outreach assumes significant responsibility for NYUAD’s community impact and the visibility of NYUAD student engagement with the community. The Director heads the Office of Community Outreach, overseeing the service-learning and UAE cultural engagement portfolios that create educational volunteer and cultural immersion opportunities to mutually benefit students, the university and external community partner organizations.
The Director will oversee a team of three staff and 25+ student leaders who are committed to the successful implementation of innovative, community-driven programs. This role works closely with colleagues in Student Affairs and across the university to support initiatives that advance NYUAD’s broader mission. This includes areas such as student community engagement, sustainable development, social impact, cultural immersion and leadership development.
This position is an exciting opportunity for an experienced outreach leader to build on NYUAD’s legacy of community engagement and impact with the UAE. The Director will represent NYUAD in a variety of settings to support the expansion of a strong global and local network of educational partnerships, working to align objectives with those of NYUAD and of the UAE and Abu Dhabi’s vision.
- Conceptualize, build and lead the strategic development of key outreach experiential education programs to catalyze global citizenship and foster engagement with the rich diversity of the UAE
- Develop and manage learning outcomes for students and community participants, implementing both quantitative and qualitative impact assessment for program enhancement
- Align programs with local community development areas of focus, including but not limited to: people of determination (POD) inclusion, youth enrichment, environmental sustainability, cultural exchange and tolerance, and the sustainable development goals (SDGs)
- Foster collaboration across campus by engaging faculty and other departments to align and enhance programs related to community-based learning and civic leadership
Student Development & Advising
- Lead the development of co-curricular experiences, trainings and and community-engaged strategies to support student success and development as ethical, engaged, global citizens
- Provide mentorship and coaching to student interns and students interested in awards, scholarships or careers related to global development and social change
- Advise students on equitable and ethical engagement with local and global communities, service-based learning, and community-based partnerships
- Provide guidance to student groups and outreach activities that involve external stakeholders or are directly related to community outreach and service
- Work to ensure that processes and policies related to student community engagement are supportive of and compliant with NYUAD guidelines and UAE regulations
- Create training materials and toolkits to enhance student leadership and community development
Leadership, Management & Supervision
- Drive the vision for transformative community engagement and impact, and serve as a resource to divisional and institutional leadership
- Supervise and lead a team of three full-time professional staff using sound management and supervisory practices
- Build a cohesive team through team building and staff professional development
External Partnerships & Stakeholder Relations
- Expand the strong network of community partnerships with external organizations that create and support the growth of educational experiences for NYUAD students to engage in the community
- Proactively identify and cultivate service, volunteer, cultural, and leadership development opportunities for students, through external relations with diverse local and global stakeholders such as local schools, universities, special education centers, inclusion partners, nonprofit, government and private institutions
- Represent NYUAD at external meetings, conferences, networking events and international conferences to raise the visibility of NYUAD
- Lead seamless communication with NYUAD community engagement stakeholders to support university-wide interdisciplinary outreach and collaborate with areas such as the Admissions, Arts Center, Athletics, Career Development Center, Community Engagement and Global Education teams
- Provide thought leadership and support capacity building internally and externally around subject or stakeholder expertise such as: UAE-related philanthropic giving, volunteerism, people of determination (POD), inclusion, environmental sustainability, social impact leadership and community-based learning
Strategic Communications & Reporting
- Oversee the development and implementation of comprehensive, multidisciplinary communications strategies to creatively tell the NYUAD community outreach story by sharing student engagement and community impact outcomes
- Leverage and coordinate storytelling aspects across mediums such as newsletters, brochures, reports, website content and media outreach, in close coordination with Public Affairs and Communications counterparts across the division and university
- Oversee community outreach’s system for data management and collation, reporting needs across institution and government partners, and tracking and compiling major outreach highlights and profiles of students and programs for key audiences
- Generate strategic plans and evaluations related to student leadership and community engagement, including supporting the annual planning and reporting documentation across the division
- Produce and deliver engaging visual presentations and reporting publications that reflect NYUAD’s civic and social responsibility contributions to the UAE
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s degree in higher education, international development, social work or related field; or equivalent relevant experience
- 7+ years of experience in higher education, community development or related fields
- Excellent written, communication, and presentation skills with outstanding devotion to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills including collaborative leadership
- Experience supervising professional staff and managing a team
- Experience working with a diverse youth population
- Proven track record in working with community entities and building cross sector partnerships, ideally within the UAE context
- Ability to work both independently or collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities
- Exceptionally strong organizational skills and the ability to conceive and execute large projects from inception to completion. Demonstrated history of creative problem solving and initiative.
- Proficiency in overseeing strategic marketing and communications campaigns
- Demonstrated commitment to understanding the intersection of gender, race, economic status, religion, and other significant aspects of individual or cultural identity
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends, particularly during the academic year
- Experienced advocate for social justice, community building, volunteerism and impact
- A strong ambassador for the UAE
- Knowledge of impact assessment within development, education and/or student affairs context
- Experience and proficiency in advising youth, with high regard for developing experiential education, leadership and other relevant programming for students
About NYUAD & Student Affairs
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) is a central part of NYU’s global network, marked by a uniquely international student population (100+ nationalities); a rigorous, liberal arts and science academic program; and a location at the crossroads of the Arab world. We are a highly diverse community that shapes and examines issues of common humanity through multicultural perspectives; recognizes that the breadth of an education here extends far beyond the classroom and the campus; sees students themselves as educators; and recognizes that true engagement with the breadth of our diversity requires curiosity, humility, and engagement with contrasting views and values.
NYUAD’s Division of Student Affairs focuses on the out-of-classroom student experience, cultivating belonging, catalyzing development, and fostering engagement for a campus community of 1800+ students. The division brings together multiple functional areas – including cultural engagement, spiritual life, student activities, community outreach, career development, athletics, residential education, health, wellness and more – to provide students with the structure, resources, and support to maximize their educational experience and reach their full potential.
Student Affairs Leader Profile
We look for inclusive leaders that are able to nurture collaboration and pursue diversity in people, thought and perspective. They model candor, transparency, and vulnerability. They are willing to receive feedback, acknowledge mistakes, and engage in conflict constructively. We want culture setters and strategic thinkers, who actively seek to align processes and programs with our values. The type of people who are able to empower, inspire and motivate others to do and to be their best. Cultural humility undergirds our work, so our leaders need to be able to engage in the process of self-reflection and self-critique to both learn about others and to examine their own beliefs and cultural identities.