Business: Discovery Health
Function: Development (Oracle/Delphi/Magic/etc)
Discovery’s core purpose is to make people healthier and to enhance and protect their lives. We seek out and invest in exceptional individuals who understand and support our core purpose, and whose own values align with those of Discovery. Our fast-paced and dynamic environment enables smart, self-driven people to be their best. As global thought leaders, Discovery is passionate about innovating in order to not only achieve financial success, but to ignite positive and meaningful change within our society.
About Discovery Health Systems (DHS) – Configuration Management Team
The Comprehensive Configuration management team within DHS provides services to the Discovery Group of Companies, empowering them to achieve systems development targets throughout their DevOps lifecycle. This is done by managing their DevOps pipeline and Configuration Management Database along with event management and monitoring tools. The tech stack includes the Atlassian suite, such as Bitbucket, Bamboo, Jira, Confluence, Dynatrace, ElasticSearch, Cucumber, Selenium, InteliJ, AWX , JIRA Xray, LeanFT, SQL, PowerBI, ServiceNow. The dynamic team is made up of Subject Matter Experts with strong stakeholder relationships with both business and development communities.
This job requires an outstanding innovative individual to maintain and support the DevOps Ecosystem which includes tools that support and provide visibility and traceability of the Application Lifecycle. This individual will need to manage capabilities mainly used by Java based applications and troubleshoot problems within the Devops pipeline. The DevOps Specialist (Intermediate) is also required to design, implement and maintain the orchestration platform (Ansible or CFengine, docker and kubernetes) to orchestrate Infrastructure and Application Provisioning and scaling. The major function and core of the role is to eliminate wastage from manual procedures by improving efficiency through automation.
The successful candidate would be technically minded, with a strong focus on automation and the ability to create and maintain enduring relationships with both business and the development community.
Areas of responsibility may include but not limited to:
The successful candidate will be required to perform but not limited to the following key outputs in respect of the Applications Infrastructure and Support portfolio:
Ongoing Maintenance of DevOps as a Service:
- Maintain the Pipeline Configuration, integration and deployment tools as well as its underlying infrastructure
User Support, Collaboration and Troubleshooting
- Provide support or collaborate with development teams specifically around customized requirements. Provide ongoing support on Continuous integration, Continuous Delivery related issues/queries.
Design and Develop
- Designing and developing the DevOps pipeline and software stack as well as develop the scripts required for automation (Python, YML, Java)
Authoring of DevOps Knowledge base, User Manuals, Standards and guidelines
- Responsible for maintaining and adding to the DevOps Knowledge base containing guidelines, best practices and operational policies primarily for Developers, Architects and Business Analysts
Drive adoption and uniformity of DevOps in Organisation
- Drive adoption of CI, CD automation, infrastructure as code, cloud-based technologies. Responsible for reporting on Key metrics on the adoption rate
- The successful candidate must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Self-starter who takes ownership, is accountable, and is able to work with minimal supervision.
- Passionate about technology and development.
- Results oriented with the ability to work under pressure and juggle multiple concurrent projects with changing priorities and deadlines
- Strong knowledge of agile software development
- Experience in continuous integration and delivery pipelines
- Experience in automated and continuous testing
- Tenacious and innovative
- Able to deal with complexity and migrate between detailed and high level requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education and Experience
- BCom or BSc in Information Systems or Computer Science) or equivalent 3-year IT qualification
- Minimum of 4+ years’ work experience in a Software Development role using Agile and DevOps practices
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience working with Linux (Redhat)
- Minimum of 1-year experience working with Kubernetes, Docker and Ansible/cfengine
- Experience working with test automation, networking, servers and databases
- Understanding of the Maven Lifecycle, NPM and Gradle) and system administrator
- Experience with Release automation, system administration, system configuration, and system debugging
- Experience using scripting languages, configuration management tools, and command execution frameworks
- Experience working with DevOps tools including Atlassian Stack (Jira, Bitbucket, Confluence and Bamboo), Dynatrace, Ansible, Redhat, Nexus Repo and IQ, Jenkins, Maven, python, Kubernetes, Docker)
- Exposure to both Agile and Waterfall methodologies
The Company’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process. As an Equal Opportunities employer, we actively encourage and welcome people with various disabilities to apply.